Skip to main content

The Centre for International Experience is currently open. Please note that in-person meetings are by appointment only, via CLNx. All programs and appointments are continuing remotely.

Navi Mental Health Wayfinder

Accessing Health Care

Once covered for your healthcare, you will find some resources to access the healthcare system in Ontario and Canada. You can also visit the Ministry of Health website to learn more about the health care system in Ontario.

Make sure you print and carry your UHIP card and UHIP Claim Form, as they will be required by your healthcare provider.

If you need to consult a physician, you are encouraged to visit the Preferred Provider Network to locate a clinic or health care provider near you that will accept UHIP.

A preferred health services provider (i.e. a provider that accepts UHIP), they will record your information and bill Sun Life, the insurance provider, directly towards medical consultation fees.

Some health care providers not mentioned in the network will not accept UHIP and may overcharge beyond the UHIP reimbursement rates. If that’s the case, you may need to pay for the services upfront and submit a claim for reimbursement to Sun Life. You can refer to the instructions on how to submit a UHIP claim. Make sure you keep all receipts and ask the healthcare provider to fill out the UHIP Claim Form for you.

On-Campus support

The University of Toronto provides a range of services for your physical and mental health on campus, including immunization, sexual and reproductive health consultations, mental health support, nutrition, as well as pharmacy services.

Make sure you visit their services online:

Off-Campus support

Telehealth Ontario

Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential phone service you can call to get health advice or information from a Registered Nurse. The nurse will direct you to the most appropriate level of care or may connect you with a health professional who can provide further advice. You can call 1-866-797-0000. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  

Service Ontario

If you have any questions regarding health care in Ontario, you may call ServiceOntario at 1-866-532-3161 or 416-327-4282, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. You can find more information on their website.

Mental health support

Feeling stressed or anxious? Do you have a hard time balancing work and school, transitioning to post-secondary or adjusting to Canada? Are you facing financial challenges or tensions in your social network? Feeling homesick or alone?

Sometimes you may feel like you could use some help!

My SSP (My Student Support Program) is for all students for immediate and/or ongoing confidential 24/7 counselling support. The service is available in 146 languages and is entirely free.

Call or chat whenever, wherever you are:

Download the My SSP App: Apple App Store or Google Play Call 1-844-451-9700 (or 001.416.380.6578 if outside Canada or the USA – call charges apply). Click here for detailed instructions.

You must notify Sun Life within 48 hours of any hospital stay expected to last more than 72 hours.

For details of your coverage in case of hospitalization, please consult the UHIP website.

Note that Sun Life’s pre-approval may be needed for some expenses to be reimbursed. If you need this service or treatment, call Sun Life at 1-866-500-8447. 

For more information about the UHIP coverage while travelling, please consult the UHIP website.

Outside of Ontario, but in Canada

UHIP will only cover emergencies outside of Ontario, at the same level of coverage as in Ontario.

Outside of Canada

UHIP has minimal coverage for out of country emergency medical treatment. It is at the same level and conditions as OHIP.

We strongly recommend that you purchase out of country travel insurance to avoid additional expenses. Check with your supplementary health insurance if they offer out of country coverage.