University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is mandatory health care coverage for registered international and exchange students while they study in Canada.
UHIP is your basic health insurance and helps cover the costs of health care services, such as:
- Regular medical consultations by physicians (doctor, specialist, general practitioner)
- Medical care received at clinics and hospitals
- Diagnostic laboratory and X-ray services
However, certain health care expenses are not covered by UHIP. Some of these services include:
- Cosmetic procedures
- Prescription drugs
- Dental care
For a complete list of what is covered and not covered by UHIP, please visit the plan details section on the UHIP Website.
UHIP coverage is similar to OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), the provincial health insurance plan for Canadian citizens and permanent residents residing in Ontario; however, it does not offer the exact same coverage as OHIP. Your UHIP coverage is operated by Sun Life Assurance Company. You can find further UHIP details in the UHIP Policy Booklet.
- August 10 – Earliest date for bridge coverage before September 1st start date. Please contact the UHIP Office if you are arriving before your September 1 start date and require bridge coverage. UHIP coverage is mandatory for international students.
- September 1 – Students can register at www.mysunlife.ca to obtain their UHIP cards.
- October 15 – Full refund granted if request for waivers/exemptions are received by this date. Only partial refund will be granted after this date.
- February 28 – UHIP refund application deadline for partial UHIP refund, except students with OHIP or pre-approved health insurance.