Skip to main content

The Centre for International Experience is currently open. Please note that in-person meetings are by appointment only, via CLNx. All programs and appointments are continuing remotely.

Navi Mental Health Wayfinder


UHIP is mandatory for all international students. You are required to be enrolled in UHIP unless you are provided an exemption. 

International students who have recently changed their legal status in Canada from “international student” to “permanent resident” must ensure that their legal status is updated with the University of Toronto by contacting their Registrar/Program Office. If not, a UHIP coverage charge will be added to the account each academic year. 

You may be eligible for an exemption if you receive coverage from one of the pre-approved health care plans listed on the UHIP website.

All pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated as soon as possible. Applications will not be accepted after the UHIP refund deadline (February 28). You will need to provide a copy of your TCard and proof of your coverage. To receive an exemption, please fill out this application form (PDF) and send it to If eligible, the UHIP premium will be adjusted on your ACORN account. 

If you receive coverage from a health plan that is not listed in the Pre-Approved Health Care Plans section, you may apply for an exemption directly to Sun Life. However, please be aware that it is extremely difficult to obtain an exemption from UHIP.

Only government-sponsored plans will be considered for an exemption. Private travel insurance will not be considered for an exemption.

All non-pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated no more than 45 days after you are enrolled in UHIP.

You will find more information about the conditions you need to meet for an exemption and the application process on the UHIP website.

You may contact for consultation prior to applying for your exemption to Sun Life.

You can also book an appointment on CLNx.


You may be eligible for a partial refund of your UHIP premium if you meet the following conditions:

  • you receive a UHIP exemption for pre-approved or non-pre-approved plans or
  • you withdraw from your undergraduate/graduate program or
  • you complete your academic program or
  • you have dependents who have left Canada.


Refund applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until February 28. Refund will start the 1st day of the month following the application. Refund applications will not be accepted from March 1 to August 31, except for students who become eligible for OHIP.

You are financially responsible for every month for which you receive coverage. Refunds will not be made retroactively.

If you have OHIP, you may submit an exemption application. Please fill out this application form (PDF) and send it to, along with copies of the required documents.

Returning Canadian citizens and permanent residents are encouraged to apply for OHIP immediately. Please visit the Enrollment section for more information 

If you will be off campus (outside of Ontario) through participation in a PEY, Co-Op placement, or International Student Exchange Program (ISEP), you may submit an exemption application. Please fill out this application form (PDF) and send it to, along with copies of the required documents.

Graduate students who are doing their research off campus (outside of Ontario) will need to contact the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) for an off campus exemption form.