Skip to main content

The Centre for International Experience is currently open. Please note that in-person meetings are by appointment only, via CLNx. All programs and appointments are continuing remotely.

Navi Mental Health Wayfinder

Entering Canada

With the exception of American citizens, as an international student, you will need to have either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV – also known as a visitor or entry visa) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), in addition to the relevant study or work permit.

Whether you need a TRV or eTA depends on your country of citizenship. The Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website can help you identify whether a visa is required for entry into Canada.

A successful study or work permit application made outside Canada will automatically include a TRV or eTA (if required).

IMPORTANT: Pandemic Travel Restrictions

Canada has implemented travel restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. There may be additional requirements to what is listed here. Please monitor the Government of Canada’s travel restriction and exemption information for international students and the Vice-Provost Students’ COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page for the most up-to-date details. 

What to expect when entering Canada

Current COVID-related travel restrictions have changed the process for entering Canada. Please review the links above for up-to-date information about the basic requirements.

In addition, we strongly recommended that you have the following documents with you in your carry-on luggage:

  • A valid Letter of Acceptance and Port of Entry Letter of Introduction (for admitted students);
    • The letter of introduction is the study permit approval received outside Canada (as the study permit itself is only issued upon arrival in Canada).
  • Confirmation of enrollment (for current students);
    • Letter available on ACORN or from your Registrar’s Office. Should include your:
      • Name,
      • student number,
      • enrollment status, and;
      • expected graduation date.
    • Students returning from a leave of absence should have confirmation of return to studies.
  • Proof of financial support:
    • Up-to-date versions of the supporting documents used to prove you can support yourself (and any accompanying family members) while in Canada.
    • IRCC expects you to prove access to funds to cover a minimum of annual tuition plus $10,000 CAD for living expenses. Additional funds are required if you are bringing a spouse/partner and/or children. See more on our Bring Your Dependants page.
    • How you prove access to funds depends on where they come from:
      • If funds are in your account, bank statement(s) with your name.
      • If funds are coming from the University or other institutional source, a letter detailing funding.
      • If funds are coming from family or other individuals, a letter confirming their willingness to support you and bank statements or income statements showing they have enough money to support you.
      • If you have already paid tuition, you can provide proof of payment from by accessing your invoice on ACORN.
  • Proof of completed immigration medical exam (if you have been in a ‘designated’ country for at least 6 of the past 12 months).
    • Medical exam results are valid for 12 months. If you will enter after your initial results expire, plan to have a new medical exam completed at least one month prior to travelling to Canada.

The Border Services Officer will review your documents and make the final decision about whether you are admitted to Canada. If you are entering for the first time, they will send you to the secondary immigration desk where your actual study permit will be issued to you. Be sure to review the permit before leaving the immigration desk and ask for errors to be fixed. 

The Canadian Government provides general guidance about what to expect when entering Canada

video player icon

Watch our guide on Part I: Your Canadian Legal Status: Preparing to Enter Canada (Requires logging-in with UTORid)