Skip to main content
Navi Mental Health Wayfinder

Status Change

UHIP Exemptions

UHIP is mandatory for all international students. You are required to be enrolled in UHIP unless you are provided an exemption.

If your status changes during your studies at university (legal status change, registration status change due to graduation, going on leave etc.), this may affect your UHIP coverage. Read below to learn more about how a status change can affect your UHIP coverage.

You may be eligible for a partial refund of your UHIP premium if you meet the following conditions:

  • You obtain OHIP
  • You receive a UHIP exemption for pre-approved or non-pre-approved plans or
  • You withdraw from your undergraduate/graduate program or
  • You complete your academic program or
  • You have dependents who have left Canada.
Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

If you have OHIP, you may submit an exemption application. Please fill out the form on the UHIP portal, along with copies of the required documents.

Returning Canadian citizens and permanent residents are encouraged to apply for OHIP immediately.  International students who have recently changed their legal status in Canada from “international student” to “permanent resident” must ensure that their legal status is updated with the University of Toronto by contacting their Registrar/Program Office. If not, a UHIP coverage charge will be added to the account each academic year.

All pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated as soon as possible. Applications will not be accepted after the UHIP refund deadline (March 1). You will need to provide a copy of your TCard and proof of your coverage. To receive an exemption, please fill out this application form (PDF) and send it to If eligible, the UHIP premium will be adjusted on your ACORN account.

Pre-approved Health Care Plans

If you have active coverage from a health plan that is listed in the Pre-Approved Health Care Plans section, you may apply here.

All non-pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated no more than 45 days after you are enrolled in UHIP. You will find more information about the conditions you need to meet for an exemption and the application process on the UHIP website.

Only government-sponsored plans will be considered for an exemption. Private travel insurance will not be considered for an exemption.

Off campus

If you will be off campus (outside of Ontario) through participation in a PEY, Co-Op placement, or International Student Exchange Program (ISEP), you may submit an exemption application. Please fill out the form on the UHIP portal, along with copies of the required documents.

Graduate students who are doing their research off campus (outside of Ontario) will need to contact SGS for proof of off-campus status.


Refund applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until March 1. Refund will start the 1st day of the month following the application. Refund applications will not be accepted from March 1 to August 31, except for students who become eligible for OHIP.

You are financially responsible for every month for which you receive coverage. Refunds will not be made retroactively.

UHIP Coverage during absence and extensions

There are few occasions when you can be covered by UHIP even when you are not a registered student at the University of Toronto.

Coverage During Absence

International students on leave from their studies may be eligible to enroll in UHIP for the term in which they are not actively registered. International students who cancel registration or withdraw for the term for any of the following reasons may be granted UHIP coverage:

  • Parental Leave 
  • Medical/Health reasons
  • Personal reasons

To be covered under UHIP during your leave, approval must be granted by the University at least one month prior to taking the leave. You are also required to contact the UHIP Office at least one month prior to the start of the leave. Your UHIP coverage may be continued for a maximum of 4 months per academic year. For a maternity or paternity leave of absence, your UHIP coverage may be continued for maximum of 12 months.

UHIP coverage must be continuous.

To apply for UHIP coverage during your leave, please contact

You can also book an appointment on CLNx.

Note that your coverage during absencedoes not extend your supplementary health and dental plan. You will need to contact your Student Union.


Extension beyond graduation

Once you complete your program and are no longer a registered student, you may need to extend your UHIP coverage at the current monthly rate: 

  • June convocations may extend up to 2 months, from September 1 to October 31. 
  • November convocations may extend up to 4 months, from September 1 to December 31. 

Please note that your UHIP coverage must be continuous.

Your Cowan account will reflect the extension of your UHIP coverage 24 to 48 hours after you have paid. You will then be able to print your new card directly from your Cowan personal account.

To apply for an extension of your coverage please fill out this form. To extend the coverage of your dependents, complete the Dependents Application