Minor in Global Leadership
Now, more than ever, the world needs principled, inclusive, and empathetic global leaders. The Minor in Global Leadership is U of T’s first tri-campus, interdivisional, multidisciplinary undergraduate community of diverse and globally agile, problem solvers and will launch in September 2023. It will leverage the strengths of the University of Toronto’s three campuses, the diversity of the student body, experiential learning, and opportunities for global engagement, both locally and abroad.
Applications for the Minor in Global Leadership are open
See How to Apply tab for more details.
Students in the Minor in Global Leadership will complete 3 core global leadership courses in sequence plus elective courses within each participating division.
This course will explore and interrogate globalization and understandings of leadership across time, context and lenses. It will be delivered primarily online through synchronous/asynchronous delivery with specific in-person activities scheduled throughout the course.
This course will prepare students to apply new principled, inclusive and appreciative approaches to the practice of global leadership. It will be delivered primarily online through synchronous/asynchronous delivery with specific in-person activities scheduled throughout the course.
In the culminating capstone course, students will demonstrate collaborative multidisciplinary problem-solving, with application to real-world problems with global reach. In addition to submitting a final capstone report, students will present their projects at a capstone event. This course will be delivered primarily online through synchronous/asynchronous delivery with specific in-person activities scheduled throughout the course.
Students will choose any combination of courses with global content, global classrooms, or global experiences as defined by each participating faculty.
Mode of Program Delivery
To support active and inclusive participation of students from our tri-campus community, core global leadership courses will be delivered online via synchronous and asynchronous course delivery methods with regular in-person meetings. Guest speakers and embedded co-curricular activities will build student connections, commitment, and engagement.
Students who complete the Minor in Global Leadership will:
● Gain practical skills and global fluencies through group work, experiential learning, and a capstone project
● Become part of a diverse interdisciplinary community of students interested in leadership and global change
● Learn dynamic and collaborative approaches to problem solving
● Develop in-depth understanding of global leadership approaches applied across time and diverse cultural contexts
● Acquire formal recognition for leadership development and preparation for global opportunities post-graduation
The Minor in Global Leadership encourages a diverse pool of applicants and strongly welcomes applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black and racialized persons, women, persons with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities, people from varying faith groups, and/or students who are economically disadvantaged or first in their family to attend university.
The program is open to all UofT undergraduate students who:
- have second year standing by the time of course enrolment for Fall 2023
- have a modified GPA of 2.7 (B-/70%) based on a student’s top 3.0 FCEs
- are enrolled at the participating faculties:
- Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (FASE)
- Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education (KPE)
- John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design
- University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM)
- University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC)
Previous leadership experience is not a requirement. There are many ways to understand leadership and gain experience as a part of this program.
Applicants are encouraged to have:
- An interest in the study of leadership, global and cultural perspectives
- A willingness to engage with students from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and disciplines of study
The Minor in Global Leadership is a limited enrolment program (application on ACORN required). The application cycle we will be using is the first period only.
The supplementary application consists of video and written responses to be submitted by your division’s posted deadlines. Please apply on ACORN early to ensure you have enough time to complete the full application.
Please go to your division’s link below to apply to the minor program.
|Division||First Application Period Dates|
|University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC)||March 8 – April 19, 2023|
|Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (FASE)||March 7 – April 28, 2023|
|Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education (KPE)||March 7 – April 28, 2023|
|John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design||March 7 – April 28, 2023|
|University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM)||March 7 – April 30, 2023|
Please submit your supplementary application before the deadline for your division.
If you have any questions about the overall program, please email the Centre for International Experience.