Skip to main content
U of T Resource Finder


The Centre for International Experience (CIE) is here to support you with your Canadian temporary immigration status. You will find lots of useful information on the following pages for you and your family, whether you plan just to study, or also work during or after your studies at the University of Toronto.

Our team of International Student Immigration Advisors (ISIAs) can provide support, advice, and a number of resources for your application process.

What CIE can and cannot do

Our team of International Student Immigration Advisors (ISIAs) can provide support, advice, and a number of resources about applying for and maintaining temporary status in Canada. This can include study permits, work permits, visas, and more.


The CIE is not responsible for your immigration status. You should ensure that you get and maintain the appropriate immigration document(s) for your activities in Canada.


The CIE has no power to alter a decision made by IRCC, but may be able to give you advice about next steps.


The CIE Immigration Advising Team cannot advise on Permanent Residency. Click here for more information about getting support related to Permanent Residency status.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the part of the Government of Canada that processes applications for temporary and permanent status in Canada.

Many applications can only be submitted online. Whenever you have a choice, we strongly recommend that you opt for online applications.

To do so, you need to create an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) online account.

To access your personal account, you can either create a username and password (GCKey), or use a sign-in partner (eg. a Canadian bank) to verify your identity. The second option involves you signing into your online banking (doing so will not give IRCC access to your banking information).

Useful tips

  • Keep a record of the expiry dates of your passport, study permit, and visa (if applicable).
  • Always keep a (paper and electronic) copy of each of your documents.
  • Make note of your “Universal Client ID” (UCI). It is an 8 or 10 digit number found on your permit. This is your personal identification number assigned to you by IRCC.

Watch our Immigration Advising Introduction (Requires logging-in with UTORid)