Skip to main content
U of T Resource Finder

IRCC Labour Disruption

We are looking forward to welcoming you to U of T this year. As you may have learned, the Public Service Alliance of Canada, which includes Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada employees, declared a general strike on Wednesday, April 19th.  

If you are a newly admitted student outside of Canada, we encourage you to apply for the required documentation (Study Permit and/or Entry Visa/eTA) at your earliest convenience. At the moment, your ability to submit your application is not impacted, nor are the Visa Application Centers where you book appointments for submission of biometrics, if needed.  

If you are a newly admitted student within Canada, we encourage you to apply for or extend the required documentation (Study Permit).  

If you are a continuing student and need to renew your Study Permit, we encourage you to review our step-by-step instructions on how to maintain your documentation or to connect to one of our advisers.  In-Canada applicants are reminded that they can remain in Canada while waiting for a decision about their application, even if their existing permit expires while they are waiting. Information and guidance about the various Canadian permits and visas students and their dependents may apply for is available in the Immigration section of our site

If you still have questions after reviewing the applicable page(s) of our site, there are multiple ways to connect with one of our International Student Immigration Advisors.  The Advisors are looking forward to working with you.