Skip to main content
Navi Mental Health Wayfinder

Extend your Study Permit

If you have a study permit already, and are applying within Canada for a new one, your application can be considered an extension. If you will not be applying while you are in Canada, it will not be considered an extension. In that case, please review our information about applying for a study permit outside Canada.

Changes in 2024

Changes to minimum financial requirements

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has announced a change to the minimum financial resources a study permit applicant must show access to for study permit applications submitted on or after January 1, 2024.

Provincial Attestation Letters (PALs)

PALs are not required for in-Canada study permit applications. Unfortunately, the online eligibility tool will ask about them. The How to Apply section below has been updated to provide instructions about how to respond.

Please review the PAL tool on the Apply for your Study Permit page to confirm if you are exempt from the requirement.

It is a good idea to apply far enough in advance that your application will be processed before your current permit expires. Usually, applying 2-3 months in advance is enough. If processing times are longer or you will need to travel in the near future, you can apply earlier with a letter of explanation and supporting documentation.

If your application is submitted, but not processed, before your current permit expires, you can remain in Canada under maintained status. 

Check the estimated in-Canada study permit extension processing times

Important: Your answers on the online eligibility questionnaire determine which documents you must submit. These are standard requirements, but be prepared to provide other documents if requested by IRCC.

  • Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student (IMM5709)
    • Look for the title at the top of the application, or the code at the bottom-left corner of each page.
    • The date noted in the bottom-left corner, along with the code, must be 01-2024 or later.  
  • Confirmation of enrollment (for current students)
    • Letter available on ACORN or from your Registrar’s Office.
      • Should include your:
        • Name,  
        • student number,  
        • enrollment status, and;  
        • expected graduation date.  
    • Students returning from a leave of absence should have confirmation of eligibility to re-enrol. 
  • Letter of acceptance (for new students)
    • Should include your:
      • Name,  
      • student number, and;  
      • expected start and end dates of program.
  • Proof of financial support
    • IRCC expects you to prove access to funds to cover a minimum of one year’s tuition plus at least $20,635 CAD (for applications submitted on or after January 1, 2024) for living expenses. Additional funds are required if you are bringing a spouse/partner and/or children. Learn more on our Bring Your Dependants page
    • Details about more realistic living costs can be found on the U of T Financial Planning Calculator.  
    • Immigration officers expect you to be able to show access to enough to pay for one year of studies, and to be convinced you will still have access to funds for any further studies. How you prove access to funds depends on where they come from:
      • If funds are in your account, bank statement(s) with your name. Four to six months of bank statements are recommended.  
      • If funds are coming from the University or other institutional source, a letter detailing funding.  
      • If funds are coming from family or other individuals, a letter confirming their willingness to support you and documentation showing they have enough money to do so. This should include bank statements and income statements (or a letter of employment stating position and salary).  
      • If you have already paid tuition, you can provide proof of payment from by accessing your invoice on ACORN.  
  • Copies from your passport or travel document
    • Including the biographical data page and all pages with visas, stamps or markings (your passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond the expected date of your arrival to Canada).  
    • If you’ve got a brand-new passport, you can provide copies from both your new and old passports, but put the new passport first, and mark it as ‘New Passport’ if possible. 
  • Passport-style photograph
    • Taken within the last six months following IRCC recommendations, noting that the frame size specifications do not apply for digital photos. 
  • $150 CAD processing fee 

You may need other documents, including (but not limited to): 

  • Biometrics (digital fingerprints and photographs)
  • Immigration medical exam results
    • Only required if you’ve been in a designated country for at least 6 out of the past 12 months or you intend to work in a field where protection of public health is required.
    • Some in-Canada applicants may be able to avoid completing an immigration medical exam (if otherwise required), due to a temporary public policy.
    • IRCC provides detailed information.
  • Co-op letter (if a work placement is a requirement of your program of study);
    • Can be its own letter or included in letter of acceptance for new students. 
    • Co-op letters are issued by representatives of the program that requires you to complete a work placement.
  • Letter of explanation providing more details about your situation.
    • This, and other additional documents can be uploaded in the “Client Information” field of the Optional Documents section.
video player icon

Watch our guide on Study Permit Extension Part I: Introduction & Required Documents (Requires logging-in with UTORid)

IRCC webpage for sign-in to online account for applications.


  • Start by reviewing IRCC’s instruction guide for this application.
  • A successful in-Canada permit application will not result in a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) (required by citizens of some countries to be able to enter Canadabeing issued. That means you’ll need to make a separate application if you want to request one. This should only be done after the study permit is approved. Find more information about Entry Visas/TRVs & eTAs.
  • Biometrics (digital fingerprints and photos) are required for most applicants at least once every 10 years. The expiry date of your biometrics could limit the length of your study permit extension.
  • Some in-Canada applicants may be able to avoid completing an immigration medical exam (if otherwise required), due to a temporary public policy. IRCC provides detailed information


  • If you already have a study or work permit and are applying from insideCanada, you are exempt from the requirement for the Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) and you must adjust your answers on the online eligibility questionnaire:
    • Select “Study” as “What you would like to do in Canada?”.
    • When asked about the Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL), the answers should be as follows:
      • Do you have a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)?


        Do you qualify for an exception?


        Which exception do you qualify for?

        (for undergraduate students) I am an applicant applying within Canada as described under section 215(1) Of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR)

        (for students in masters or doctoral degree programs) I am an applicant who is applying for a master’s degree or doctoral degree program

    • Answer the rest of the questions until it asks if you want to apply for a “Study Permit (in Canada)” or a “Temporary Resident Visa” (if your citizenship requires one for entry into Canada.
      • Choose “Study Permit (in Canada)”
    • Answer remaining questions.
      • Confirm that your personal checklist includes “Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student” (IMM5709).


If you are not an American citizen and have not provided biometrics as part of a Canadian immigration application in the past 10 years, you will be required to do so. You can also choose to re-submit biometrics if your current biometrics will expire before the end of your studies. Your answers in the online eligibility questionnaire will show that you are required (or want) to submit biometrics. As a result, you will be required to pay an $85CAD biometric collection fee. After submitting the application, you will be sent a Biometric Instruction Letter that will guide you through booking a biometric collection appointment.

Additional Documents

Immigration officers may ask you for additional documentation to make a decision about your application. If they ask you to attach the documents to your online application, you will login to your account where you must upload the documents and re-submit the application. IRCC provides specific details about how to do so. Failure to do so will likely result in a refusal of your application.


If you need to notify IRCC about a change, you can use their web form.

Application Tracking

If you wish to track the status of your application, you can create a special IRCC “tracker account” to do so (note: this is not the same account where you submitted the online application).

IRCC will notify you through your IRCC account that the application was approved. The study permit will be mailed to the Canadian mailing address provided in the application. This process could take as long as 6 weeks.

Important next steps

A successful in-Canada permit application will not result in a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) (required by citizens of some countries to be able to enter Canada) being issued. That means you’ll need to make a separate application if you want to request one. This should only be done after the study permit is approved. Find more information about Entry Visas/TRVs & eTAs

After receiving your new permit, you can use it to apply for/extend your Social Insurance Number (SIN) through Service Canada.

When you are applying for an extension of your status in Canada, you can also include your dependants. Find more information about extending the status of your dependants

Register for a live Question and Answer session  (Requires logging-in with JOINid/UTORid)

Frequently Asked Questions

Every refusal is accompanied by a letter that gives some information about the reason(s) for the decision. If you need help understanding it, and your next steps, you can book an appointment with an International Student Immigration Advisor.

Check out our Resources page for more support.